Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Being sick

So valentines week Breeze came down with a fever. I feel very lucky that we hadn't experienced a high fever before, but it's scary non the less. I had done my homework and read a lot about them and tried to keep reminding myself that fevers are good, they are helping the body heal, and that her body won't be able to heal as well if I brake it. But that advice is very hard to follow! I did give Motrin 3 times over the course of 4 days, after her tempature was 103+. I do feel confident that her immune system did a great job though. I do many things to help build her immune system so for that I am thankful( if your interested in what just ask!)


So as with any person who is sick, Breeze didn't feel like eating or drinking. To most this is not ok to do, but it is a lot worse for PKU folk. When her body had a fever it burned itself, burned protein. Making her levels go up. 
So for the first week I was taking care  of a feverish, sick baby, trying to keep her hydrated and not think to much about the fact that her levels were going up, she was not drinking all her formula nor was she eating. It was rough. But she never did stop eating or drinking so that's good, and a lot of time she wanted water. Which, I know is great, but for Breeze her formula is better. But I am glad she drank it and she got it as much as she wanted.
Once her fever broke I was focused on getting her levels back in check. I think the second week was harder than the first! 
The second week of healing I experienced a  two year old dose of what high phe levels look like.  Yikes! I will say this, this week, Breeze is a little angel, yep, I said it. My 2 year old is an angel. 


It was hard to get her to drink her formula. ( I even gave her one of Raven's bottles,once just once) So our lovely dietician advised us to try putting tang in her formula. It's phe free. So as of four days ago, Breeze drinks all her orange milk, happily. She gets a choice, which I think helps. 'White or orange milk?' I'm also going to get her some mios which are also phe free to give her more of a selection.

What do you do to help your kids immune system?


No comments:

Post a Comment